Tuesday, August 12, 2014

home sweet louisiana.

Oh, how lovely it was to be home longer than a weekend! I planned my trip around three events, a friend's bridal luncheon, a friend's graduation from PA school & an anniversary. There's always something to celebrate!

The first few days I was home was nonstop appointments and catching up with my favorite people. I got to spend time with Mrs. Susie, Alex, Brother Truett, Mrs. Sherry, & Courtney & Ella. I can't believe it was this time last year we were anxiously awaiting Ella's arrival and now she will be a year old soon! Courtney, you and Nehemiah are doing an awesome job - Ella really is a piece of sunshine.
Ella loves blueberries.
In the evenings, my parents have a routine of driving the Ranger out to the airport to watch the sunset, walk & let Pecos (their new pup) run all of her energy out. My favorite part about this routine is the quiet - one thing I miss most about home. It was great to be able to spend some quality time with my parents! Mom & I got to cook together, we visited my Mawmaw, & I got to hangout with my dad & eat lunch with him almost everyday. Also while I was home, my parents celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary - what a testimony to a Christ-centered marriage! For my mom, the most meaningful way to celebrate was to renew their wedding vows in the chapel they were married in. I love you, momma & daddy!
FBC Shreveport
Well you know it's not a trip home unless I get at least 3 good workouts and prayer time with my girl, Hannah. There is never a dull moment with this faithful friend of mine. We got to do some much needed yoga, pray together & had a movie night, watched Notting Hill & made pumpkin pancakes. It was so great to get to spend a week with her. Then on Saturday, I celebrated my friend, Chelsea, at her bridal luncheon. We've been friends since 4th grade and soon I'll watch her say, "I do." So excited for her and David as they prepare for marriage!
yogis4life.
celebrating Miss Chelsea Clay.
Stephen came home too for a few days. I'd been dying to meet his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Reed. So I was real happy when he agreed to go to Oberlin for a day. I didn't snap any pictures as I had intended :(. We spent the afternoon visiting with them and they prepared an amazing meal for us - basically, it was like Louisiana Thanksgiving. I have a much clearer understanding now of why Stephen has such high expectations for my cooking...he's grown up with Louisiana chefs!

While I was home I made the sad decision to let my pet turtle, Rafael, be free. I really didn't want to see him go, but I know he was real tired of his little box I forced him to live in. So we let him go in a pond on the golf course & I know he's much happier with his life now.
last few moments with my turtle-friend.
The last few days of my trip were spent with my lifelong friend, Eleni. We celebrated her graduating from PA school! I am always terrible about taking pictures when her and I get together because it's just nonstop talking. I did manage to snap two photos while we were at a coffee shop though! We got to have dinner, shop & walk in the park when we weren't doing grad. festivities. Eleni, you're going to be an awesome PA & congrats on your new big girl job!
proud of this girl!
As a child, I definitely overlooked the beauty in my small hometown. The beauty of everyone knowing everybody. The beauty of everything being within a 5 mile radius of your house. The beauty of quiet. The beauty of being able to hear dozens of birds singing out of your window.  The beauty of a slower pace of life. The beauty of simple living.

I'm thankful for every moment I spent with my family & my friends these past two weeks. I feel refueled & refreshed as I prepare for year three of teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment