I love March for many reasons. One of them being it's my birthday month! Stephen surprised me with a little trip to Austin, Texas, for some adventuring. I stayed on top of the weather forecast the entire week before hoping the anticipated rainy weekend would change to sunshine. It didn't. So we planned for inside activities.
Now... we didn't realize until after we planned on going to Austin that SXSW was still taking place. We knew there were going to be a lot more people in town and lots of music. We were hoping to check out a few bands, but didn't (mainly because I knew none of the bands performing!). On Saturday morning, we had brunch at the coolest restaurant, Hillside Farmacy. In the 1950s the building served as a pharmacy and still has all the original pharmacy cabinetry. It was really neat and the food was delicious. I got their Bangers and Eggs and he the Big Brekkie.
After brunch, we headed to SoCo also known as South Congress. This is a fun strip of shopping and restaurants. I had previously been to SoCo a few years back and everything still looked exactly the same!
Shortly after checking out SoCo, we went to the Texas State Capitol. Somehow we managed to hop on a free tour just as soon as we were walking in the front doors. I'm glad we did, otherwise I wouldn't have known what we were looking at. Fun fact: The Texas State Capitol is 1 foot taller than the Capitol in DC. The builders purposely made the statue on top to be the tallest in the U.S.! Everything is bigger in Texas....
![]() |
| This is the view, looking up, from the middle of the TX Capitol. |
We then traveled to one of the famous Austin Overlooks. I'm not exactly sure what the name of it is...it may not even have a name. I'm actually trying to remember how we even pulled this place up on Google maps! It was okay. I'm sure when there isn't rain and fog, it has way better visibility. It was short hike to reach the top. Let's just say hiking in grip-less booties and mud is not fun.
After caffeine and rest, we freshened up and went back to SoCo for dinner at Perla's. SoCo was very much alive on Saturday night! Luckily, we were smart enough to make reservations and were seated just as soon as we arrived. Perla's is known for their fresh seafood. Cue blog title post now: raw-stin. Stephen insisted on getting raw oysters. I had never had them before and he really likes them! So I was really brave and tried them. OMG. I like all food. I do NOT like raw oysters. Horribly fishy!! Have you seen the movie Unbroken? Do you remember the scene when they were stuck in the tiny boat out at sea and ate a raw fish? That is what it's like to eat a raw oyster.
Now, Perla's was still amazing even if I don't like oysters. I had the Red Fish and Stephen the Tuna. We got the sharing size of the dirty rice. Superb. The Cab wasn't too bad either. I would definitely recommend this place! On our walk back to the car, I had Stephen snap a photo of me in front of the famous "I love you so much," sign. I can now mark that off my bucket list (kidding).
We had a wonderful time despite the rain and amount of people. Thank you, Stephen, for loving me so well!
P.S. Here's to celebrating my 100th blog post!!! Crazy to think I've had this little website running for almost 2 1/2 years!







No comments:
Post a Comment