Wednesday, February 13, 2013

tempura.

YAY for Mardi Gras weekend. A.K.A. Monday and Tuesday no school = no work.

Where was I headed? West.

First stop. Waco. Baylor University. And I cried. Tears of joy. So many countless memories. So much growth. So many friendships made. Blessing after blessing after blessing after blessing.

I got to see my sweet friend, Ashleyanne!!!! She is still at BU, a senior this year majoring in the same exact thing as me:) Secondary Math Education. We went to my favorite Waco coffee shop, Common Grounds. And talked and talked. We had intended to walk the Bear Trail, but the rain didn't permit that. Then we proceeded to grab dinner at Panera Bread. I, of course, got the usual Asian Sesame Chicken Salad. It was yum. And we talked and talked. Ashelyanne has decided to most likely stay at BU next year and get her masters. She is such a smarty and I love her to death. We will one day teach together in the same ISD around Dallas. Just saying.

Ashleyanne.

After a wonderful hangout/catch up time with Ashleyanne, I headed to Hillsboro to spend the night with my Uncle Jeff. Let me tell you a bit about this dear old man. I have grown up spending weekends and holidays out at "Uncle Jeff and Aunt Louise's." My Aunt Louise passed away a few years ago so now it is just Uncle Jeff. He lives on a few hundred acres in the middle of the country with a herd of cows surrounding his house. In the 23 years I have known him, the only time I haven't seen him in blue-jean overalls is going to church or to a funeral.  His version of dressing up is putting a plaid button-snap shirt underneath his overalls instead of just a plain white tee.  As a little girl, him and I would always play tic-tac-toe. He had a little wooden tic-tac-toe board and gold metal x's and o's. He won every time until he finally showed me his "trick." His trick: always start by making your play in one of the four corners or the center first. Not until he shared this "trick" with me did I get anything besides CAT!

Saturday night him and I visited and caught up on life. I hadn't seen him since May. When I lived in Waco I would always try and visit a few times a semester so it had been a while since our last visit. We had planned on going to his Sunday school class together on Sunday morning, but he wasn't feeling up to it. Instead he cooked his usual breakfast--fried eggs, bacon and toast.  I sat with him and drank my cup of coffee and we chatted and listened to the roosters crow.

I decided to go for a hike on his property. Reminisce on my childhood days at Uncle Jeffs.  I have grown up and moved from place to place and done this and that, but one thing has never changed---that old home place. And I am grateful. When I first transferred to Baylor, I would come visit and head to the pasture bringing along with me my journal, a good book (the Bible) and a beach towel to spend an afternoon.  My hike through the hills was much needed.

After I got back it was close to lunch and Uncle Jeff wanted to go out to grab some food. I drove his truck and we headed to the truck stop restaurant about 20 minutes away. I had to hurry back afterwards because I had a coffee date with another sweet gal right after lunch! It was so nice spending quality time with Uncle Jeff this past weekend. I love him. He is like a third grandfather to me. Dear to my heart.

Hiking.


Listening to this old thing on Sunday morning. :)

He isn't a fan of pics, but I snapped this one while he was watching the news.

Who was the next gal to see??? Hannah of course!

It is crazy cool how the Lord works. Never what you expect. Hannah and I had originally planned on going to Baton Rouge together for MG weekend, but I decided to head to Texas and she ended up getting to shoot with one of her favorite photographers in Dallas for the weekend. So where do we end up meeting? Starbucks in Hillsboro, Texas, y'all!! There is never a DULL MOMENT with the two of us. Nuff said.

cool cat right here. 
Yeah, I am just a world traveler. So after my date with AA, Uncle Jeff and Hannah, I was finally headed to my actual destination: Dallas! To see Mrs. Lauren Chabot (and Mr. Logan Chabot too). On Sunday, it was cool and sunny--the perfect weather for a walk in Highland Park---the most beautiful neighborhood in all of America. It was so fun! We grabbed dinner at this neat place called "Eatsies." I don't even know how to describe it. Heaven would maybe be a good description. You walk in and there are different sections--salads, sandwiches, the grill, fish, italian, and wine everywhere! You get what you want and take it to-go. So we got sushi and took it back to Lauren and Logan's apartment. Apparently, I pronounce "tempura" wrong according to Lauren and Logan. But Logan is Canadian (what does he know?) and Lauren is from the Bayou like me so she doesn't know anything about pronunciation either. We were in our pj's by 8 pm and I was perfectly okay with that.

On Monday, Lauren had to sub for a teacher at an elementary school in HP ISD and I had a few things to do myself. We met up after she got off and grabbed coffee at a hole-in-the-wall place called the "Crooked Tree Coffeehouse" and shared a piece of delicious pumpkin bread. We drove around and killed time looking at different things around downtown Dallas before heading to the apartment to cook dinner. On the agenda that night was spaghetti and the Bachelor. I usually am no fan of the Bachelor, but we watched four episodes Sunday night so by Monday night I was excited to watch the newest episode. We were actually in our pj's by 7 pm Monday night and I was perfectly okay with that.

On Tuesday, I got up early and was soon headed back east in the pouring down rain. This past weekend was a little vacation that I needed. And I love Lauren. I hope that one day we can live close to one another again so that we can grow old together.  :)

HP house. I'll never be able to afford it, but I can dream.

Lake in HP.
walking.

Sushi & chicken wrap. yum.

coffee date. 

After 3 coffee dates. 3 dinner dates. A weekend full of people that I love my heart is full.

"If they obey and serve him, they will spend the rest of their days in prosperity and their years in contentment. But if they do not listen, they will perish by the sword and die without knowledge." Job 35:11 (NIV)
(A verse from the Lord on Saturday night)

1 comment:

  1. For some reason I had missed reading this post back in february. I really enjoyed it, and it looks like you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete