Friday, January 18, 2013

kids just need love.

I just finished my second week of the SECOND semester of my first year teaching. Time is flying by. Flying.

Tonight I've got sweet faces on my mind. My precious students.

Many times over this past year, other teachers have made the comment, "You don't get paid over-time outside of school so don't spend your time worrying about your students." Wait. Really? I am a teacher. And I am not supposed to worry or care about my students? Isn't that why I chose teaching? To care. To teach. To grow. To nurture. To motivate. To encourage. To love. 

Aren't we, as believers in Christ, called to love and to encourage others? To pray for others? To confront others? To discipline? To keep accountable?  Why yes, I believe we are and THAT is why I've got my kiddies on my mind.

I got nine new students this semester. One in particular is my favorite. He moved here from Texas and calls me "Mizzz." It reminds me of all my inner-city Waco students... they all called me "Mizzz" too. Last week he came to class and I could tell he was on the verge of tears all throughout the class period. I found out a few days ago, his mom got arrested and went to jail. he just needs love.

Right before Christmas break, another one of my boys came to class all slumped over and looking miserable. Half way through the class, I had a minute to chat with him and ask him what was up. He told me his house had gotten broken into the night before and had most of his belongings stolen. he just needs love.

Last week, one of the brightest girls that I teach mom passed away. I know that she was very close to her. She is 16 years old. she just needs love.

One of my weakest students hardly ever comes to class with a smile on her face nor has anything to say. She informed me one day last semester that she would be out of school for a funeral for a week. I wanted to ask more, but could tell she didn't want to offer any information. I later learned that her aunt had committed suicide. The aunt that she lived with because her own parents aren't in the picture. she just needs love.

What I wish that educators could see is that if we approached our students with love and care through prayer and the power of Jesus, students would change. It says so in the Word of God. He reminded me of this this morning before I headed to work.

"And now, Lord...grant to your servants to continue to speak your word with all boldness, while you stretch out your hand to heal, and signs and wonders are performed through the name of your holy servant Jesus." Acts 4:29-30 (ESV)

So we, as believers in Christ, speak the Word and proclaim the Word and do the Word and JESUS stretches out His hand and heals and works the miracles. 

So I, as a teacher, let Jesus speak through me. Work through me. Love through me. Because kids just need love. 

1 comment: