Sunday, January 13, 2013

a new week. a new church.

A song of praise of David.

"One generation shall commend your works to another, and shall declare your mighty acts. On the glorious splendor of your majesty, and on your wondrous works, I will meditate. They shall speak of the might of your awesome deeds, and I will declare your greatness. They shall pour forth the fame of your abundant goodness and shall sing aloud of your righteousness." Psalm 145:4-7 (ESV)

This is what I was lead to this morning in my quiet time before church. The part of the above verses that struck my heart the most was the first sentence, "One generation shall commend your works to another." Why did this strike my heart? Because in my job I am surrounded with people (students and co-workers) from another generation than myself and most of the time, I am not declaring anything in my actions nor my words about our Lord's "mighty acts."  If I was completely honest, there are many days, outside of my job, that I make choices---through my actions, behavior, and words, that do not commend my Savior's "awesome deeds." Why is it so difficult to give praise and honor to Jesus Christ? To a Savior that is "slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love," and to a Savior that "...is good to ALL." [emphasis mine]  I like what Paul says in 1 Timothy chapter one starting with verse 12.

"I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service, though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost." 1 Timothy 1:12-15 (ESV)

It is difficult to give praise, honor and glory to our Savior because we are born filthy sinners, but thanks be to God that He gave His only Son to save us. It is through His mercy and unending grace that we have the opportunity to become holy and righteous and pure and loving and kind and good. I thank Jesus for not giving up on me. For having unending patience with me! Whew. Thank goodness that He is patient, otherwise He would've said "Peace out, MK," a LONG time ago. 

Today is the first day of a new week. Another fresh start. I got to visit a new church and meet new people. The Lord is gracious and good. My prayer this week is that I remember what His Word says in Psalm 145 and 1 Timothy---at my job, at my house, in every area of my life. I pray that I would go to war with the sin in my life and that I would strive to proclaim my Savior's "wondrous works...abundant goodness...mighty deeds...everlasting kingdom..."

"Your kindgom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures throughout all generations." Psalm 145:13 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment